With the growing popularity of CBD, a lot of scientists today are tasked to enlighten the general public about the various uses of the compound beyond just getting the user high. As many states today have legalized the use of Cannabidiol both for medical and recreational use, people are increasingly turning to the supplement for treating General Anxiety Disorder (GAD).
A recent study published by Washington University claimed that CBD provides the users with a calming experience, that further relieves them from anxiety.
For all novice users waiting to try cannabis as an alternative medicine for anxiety reduction, CBD can be recommended as a starting point. This blog below outlines all the facts that support the use of cannabis for the management of anxiety.
What Is CBD?
The rise of CBD globally has left many users wondering whether opting for the wellness supplement is right for them. Considering the controversial history and inconsistent research, cannabis has often been portrayed in a negative light due to the presence of THC(tetrahydrocannabinol) in it.
But the recent studies and ramifications have made it easier to derive the answer to “Will cannabis help in treating anxiety”? CBD is a natural compound that is naturally found in the Cannabis Sativa plant.
Cannabinoids act on the endocannabinoid system present in our body which plays an important role in regulating the appetite, mood, and pain. Cannabidiol varies greatly and shall not be confused with tetrahydrocannabinol as the latter is a principal compound with psychoactive properties.
CBD Facts and Fiction
Given its controversial history along with inappropriate portrayals in the media, there have been a lot of misconceptions that exist around the component. Some of the common myths that exist in the minds of the public:
· CBD is dangerous for the body as it can lead to memory loss, psychosis, and even death.
· CBD provides a gateway to substance abuse.
· The regular use of CBD can lead to addiction.
While all these myths are nullified by the recent studies, in contrast, it has been found out that the benefits of CBD supersede the negative effects. Recent surveys carried out on the users show that anxiety management is the second most endorsed reason for the widespread CBD use.
You shouldn’t worry about passing drug tests, as this fact sheet states, since most hemp CBD products contain less than 0.3% THC, and they won’t trigger 50ng/ml cutoff value.
Reports also suggest that most of the people struggling with anxiety on a daily basis reach out to cannabidiol derived products to eradicate the symptoms.
Can CBD Help With Anxiety?
Going by all the above facts, it can be concluded that CBD helps in treating anxiety disorders in the long run. One of the ways in which CBD products work on stress and anxiety is by activating the serotonin receptors present in the brain.
Serotonin is a chemical found in the body that is responsible for inducing a positive effect on the mood, sleep, and appetite. CBD medications increase the serotonin levels in the body which treat anxiety and stress.
The Link Between CBD and Anxiety Disorders
One of the main reasons why cannabis is administered into use is because of its therapeutic properties. Many users who have used the compound on a regular basis have found extremely calm and relaxing effects.
There are other users who have also cited an increase in relaxation and the ability to curb negative emotions with the use of cannabis. When considering all these benefits it makes sense that all the individuals who experience high levels of anxiety should definitely try cannabis as an alternative.
Not only that, but cannabidiol also exacerbates symptoms of anxiety, in the long run, thus letting individuals cope and manage their stress in the long run.
What Does Research Say About CBD and Anxiety?
Due to the rising popularity of CBD among users, there have been several studies that have examined its positive effects on anxiety:
- A recent study conducted in 2019 used CBD to treat people struggling with both anxiety and sleep. Almost 80% of people reported improved anxiety and more than 70% had good sleep. The results for the sleep of course varied with time.
- In 2015 a report was published which showed that over 49 studies strongly supported CBD as an effective treatment for disorders like anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Other researches also point out to the below theories:
- While THC in cannabis is shown to be more anxiety-inducing, CBD on-the-other-hand is more anxiety-reducing.
- Individuals who were suffering from PTSD for a very long time have reported a reduction in anxiety after the use of CBD.
- People pop some CBD gummies for anxiety.
Debunking some of the common myths, various researches have also pointed out that CBD use does not cause psychosis or death. Although most of the studies point out a positive result, there are few things that should be kept in mind:
- Firstly, all the studies have been carried out on a limited number of people, hence it does not represent a general population.
- Secondly, these studies only point out the short-term effects.
What Is The Correct Way Of Taking CBD?
Frankly speaking, there is no exact dose administered to reduce the symptoms of anxiety through CBD. When it comes to ingesting CBD, there are various forms or products that are available in the market today:
· Chocolates and ice creams.
What Is The Correct Dosage For Anxiety?
When it comes to administering an exact dose of CBD for anxiety, it is generally advisable to start off with a lower dose. One can take 1 mg -20 mg of CBD dose twice daily for seeing a noticeable change in anxiety symptoms.
Doses vary usually from people to people and are based on weight and body type. In order to ensure safety, always consult with a physician before taking any CBD products.
Tips for Buying CBD Products:
While purchasing CBD products it is highly advisable that one should spend wisely and safely. As CBD products are popping up everywhere in the global market scenario always look for the below points before making any purchase:
· The purity of the product: There are three forms that CBD is usually sold in: isolate, full-spectrum, and broad-spectrum hemp extract. CBD isolates contain 99% pure extract. Full-spectrum and broad spectrum products contain terpenes and other parts of the hemp plant.
· Depending on the ailment it is always good to opt for full-spectrum or broad spectrum products as they have other cannabinoids that alleviate the healing process.
· Cleanliness: It is also worth checking out the method of extraction of CBD. Sometimes CBD products are extracted through heating which further degrades the quality. Therefore, always go for the CO2 extraction process which preserves the purity of the product.
· Third-Party testing: Today there are many brands available in the market that sell CBD derived products. While purchasing cannabidiol products always see the third-party testing lab reports. These reports show the transparency of the company towards the products it sells. Here are a few brands that produce the best cbd oils.
The Final Thoughts:
CBD has burst into the global market scenario as a supposed “medical cure” for health conditions like anxiety and stress. As the component is available easily, it is rising in popularity among all sorts of users.
There are many people around the world who struggle with anxiety on a daily basis. CBD is truly a safer alternative as its anecdotal reports suggest and are thus one of the effective ways of tapping the root cause of stress.
Leave a Reply