Cannabis is the power plant that has been responsible for a number of different medical miracles. Patients who have long suffered through ailments such a chronic pain without an effective cure are starting to turn towards this amazing ingredient. It is a natural form of medication for various problems that have yet to see the light of proper cure. In fact, legalization is an encouraging step towards increasing the research in this area. Such improvements in legislation will make sure the best quality cannabis seeds are available for cultivation and will bring cannabis-based treatment to more people across the world.
Source: Shepherd Express
One of the most spoken about terms associated with cannabis is CBD or cannabidiol. CBD is one of two most prominent compounds (cannabinoids) present in cannabis responsible for its health benefits. But what makes CBD so effective towards making our body better? What makes CBD special? Well, the answer to these questions lies in the endocannabinoid system.
Here are 5 ways in which CBD helps cover for the deficiencies in the endocannabinoid system.
1. CBD helps manage stress: A lifestyle free of stress has become close to impossible in the current world. Managing stress, “the silent killer”, is essential to ensure that your body and mind are in proper balance and your internal systems do not go out of whack. Stress puts a huge strain on your endocannabinoid system (ECS) which means it will directly affect your body`s ability to attain homeostasis. Your ECS reduces the generation of anandamide during situations of danger or stress. If this state of the body becomes chronic then the body starts to get adapted to it by increasing 2- AG levels which in turn over stimulates the CB1 receptors in the brain. Now the brain begins to compensate by reducing CB1 receptors which cause emotional imbalance. CBD is a phytocannabinoid that imitates the function of cannabinoids in the body thus helping escape this imbalance. It relaxes the body and creates a sense of euphoria by avoiding the over-production of 2-AG. Studies also suggest that stress reactivity in regular cannabis users is reduced.
2. CBD can improve your gut health: A healthy diet is important for a healthy body. But following stressful diets for weight loss affects the endocannabinoid system. Without the necessary nutrition to keep the body functions alive, the endocannabinoid system undergoes a lot of stress. Similarly, unhealthy food habits also affect your health by introducing toxic substances in the body. There are various studies that connect the importance of ECS for good gut health.
Check out our article on how cannabis and chili peppers can both “chill” your gut.
In fact, unhealthy diets high in processed materials can actually lead to increasing ECB population in the body which will only make you hungrier leading to overeating. Omega-3 can help bring balance to ECB in the body and CBD is a great source for introducing it. By offering the Omega required by eh ECS, CBD ensures excessive fat cells do not get produced and eCBs also stay in balance.
3. CBD can cope with the effects of ailments on the endocannabinoid system: ECS imbalance is common when a person is suffering from ailments and diseases. This could be both psychological and physical ailments such as Parkinson’s, anxiety, PTSD, glaucoma, arthritis etc. In fact, it is hard to infer whether ECS imbalance is a cause or effect of ailments in the body. But in either case, getting back to proper balance is important. CBD modifies the CB2 receptors in the brain instead of overstimulating ECS and naturally boost the endocannabinoid levels. This way the endocannabinoid system gets healthy support to continue functioning and come to balance says a study.
4. CBD can help in case of genetic deficiency too: The basic building structures of our body which is the DNA varies at different levels from one person to another. This is the primary reason why no two people have the same endocannabinoid system build up. Certain mutations have occurred causing degraded anandamide levels in the body– a condition known as Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (CECD). High levels of one of the most important endocannabinoids such as anandamide will mean low reaction to stress. This will require that an external stimulant is added to bring back balance. A study concluded that CBD acts as a phytocannabinoid and helps bring balance to the body and anandamide levels to ensure the body’s reaction to fear or danger stimulus becomes normal.
5. CBD can help in cases of anxiety and traumatic disorders: Anandamide is a compound responsible for memory in the brain and having proper levels of this endocannabinoid is important. While it is important that we remember faces, conversations, etc., eliminating unnecessary details such as in the case of patients suffering from PTSD is also important.
This requires that the endocannabinoid system carries a proper elimination process as discussed by various studies. CBD reduces the production of a certain enzyme that recycles or degrades the anandamide. This means anandamide has to engage the receptors of the endocannabinoid system for longer periods. This way CBD helps to reduce general anxiety levels, as well as the effects of PTSD, says a study.
Read our article on how CBD can help with Social Anxiety Disorder.
Unlike other phytocannabinoids, CBD has a peculiar way of interacting with the endocannabinoid system which keeps it at the top of its game. By achieving a proper balance of the ECS you can achieve a healthy state of mind and body which is important. Techniques such as hydroponic growing will help increase the availability of this medicinal plant that can be put to use towards curing more people.