CBD oil is gaining popularity as a natural and alternative treatment for different diseases. It also serves as a supplement with a number of health benefits. Due to this, many people resort to CBD oil to boost their health.
However, finding quality oil can be tricky or too costly. The best way to ensure good quality and cut costs is to make one at home. An advantage of making CBD from home is that you choose what goes into the process.
So if you want to make CBD oil, this DIY guide is going to help you. But first, it’s essential to understand all about CBD oil.
How to Make CBD At Home: Step by Step Guide
The first step before you start the process is to get high-quality CBD dominant strains. Once you have that, you can decide which of the two methods of extracting CBD oil best suits you.
The first one is using natural plant oil, and the other one is using food-safe alcohol. Both of them are effective, so its a matter of personal preference.
That said, here are the two main processes of making CBD at home.
Method 1: Extracting CBD Oil Using Plant Oil
- The hemp flowers (30-60g)
- 1 cup of Carrier oil, it can be coconut oil, hemp seed, or olive oil
- Double boiler
- A grinder
- Parchment paper for lining
- Baking tray
- Filter (cheesecloth)
- A glass container with a lid
1. Using the grinder, grind the hemp flowers to a more refined texture with smaller pieces but not dust-like substance. Fine consistency provides maximum extraction of CBD.
Alternatively, you can use a knife in place of the grinder.
2. Put the ground hemp flowers on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, then place it in the oven and bake for one hour.
Baking stimulates the decarboxylation process that turns the less active CBDA to a more active CBD.
Also, baking for an extended time with lower heat enables the process to transpire. In the end, the hemp flower turns brownish and crispy.
3. Mix the baked flowers with oil in a jar to start the extortion process. Place the jar in the boiler filled water, then heat to simmer.
Simmering allows the mixture to boil at 150 degrees and above, allowing the terpenes to evaporate. The entire process takes at least 2-3 hours. The final product should have a brownish-green color.
4. Remove the jar containing the mixture. Take another container and put the filter over its opening. Pour the mixture into the container.
Ensure that you extract enough oil filtered hemp before you can dispose of the flower.
5. Finally, cover the container and keep it in a cool, dry place.
Method 2: Extracting CBD Oil Using Alcohol
· 30g-60g of the hemp flower
· 1 cup of high proof alcohol
- Parchment paper
- Baking tray
- Wooden spoon
- 2- 3 pieces of cheesecloth
- Double boiler
- Glass jar
1. Place the hemp flower into the grinder and begin grinding until the particles get fine and even.
2. Now cut enough parchment paper to line your baking tray. Parts of parchment paper should be left hanging over the slides of the tray.
3. Place the even consistency on the baking tray and preheat it using an oven at 110ºC (225ºF). Let it cook for about an hour.
4. Put the decarbed flowers in a bowl and add alcohol until the plant matter is covered. Stir for the mixture using a wooden spoon for about 10 minutes.
Alcohol helps to extract the desired compounds; terpenes and CBD. By stirring, you speed up the process dislodging the trichomes that release these compounds.
5. Now, you have a mixture of CBD-rich alcohol and plant remains. Separate the mixture by straining the solution through the cheesecloth. Squeeze as much as you can to extract enough oil.
6. Repeat mixing the CBD-rich alcohol mixture using fresh alcohol each time, stir it, and strain it until you have clearer extracts.
7. Fill the double boiler with water and place the bowl containing the oil. Heat until it forms bubbles. Heating evaporates the alcohol from the oil without increasing the temperatures. Let it simmer for 30 minutes for all the alcohol to evaporate.
8. Remove the solution and allow it to cool before pouring into the storage jar. Cover the jar with a tight lid and store in a cool place.
The good thing about making CBD oil at home is that the process is simple and straightforward. It also allows you to make as much oil as you want using the ingredients of your choice.
Furthermore, it saves you money and time you could have spent looking for the oil to buy. So if you are a beginner and wish to make your oil, this DIY guide is all you require to get you going.